“St John’s Buildings has a ‘growing expertise’ in the education sector, according to clients. ‘Superb advocate’ Jamie Jenkins has expanded his specialism in employment law into now being a go-to for a variety of education-related instructions. He now predominantly represents schools and local authorities in the full spectrum of education cases, including in the Employment Tribunal, County Court, and First Tier Tribunal.” Legal 500 2021
SJB’s education specialists are accustomed to handling all education matters.
Our expertise includes:
- Employment issues for schools, teachers, administrators and Governors
- General Teaching Council disciplinary hearings
- School exclusion
- Admissions, including Judicial Review, the appeals process and discrimination claims
- Special Educational Needs and appeals to the First Tier Tribunal and the Upper Tribunal.
- Issues with Qualification Bodies and exam and assessment bodies
- Negligence claims
- Personal Injury claims
- Criminal charges and convictions
We are also accustomed to advising schools in relation to internal disciplinary processes, selection policies, employment policies, the establishment of academies and free schools or change of status and any other legal issues associated with the education system.
Our expertise includes childminding, nursery schools and pre-schools, academies, fee paying, independent and state maintained schools, colleges and universities.
Examples of our cases include:
- Representing a “Super-Head” in an unfair dismissal claim and the GTC appeal
- Advising schools on admissions policy and the appeal process
- Judicial review proceedings following refused admission and flawed admissions policy for a fee paying school
- Advising on academy status
- Representing child-minders following failed Ofsted Inspections
- Defending Personal Injury actions (including stress claims)