Jamie acts for both Claimants and Respondents in a wide range of employment tribunal cases, advising clients at all stages from initial negotiations through to the final hearing and, if necessary, to appeal. As well as his extensive discrimination experience, Jamie is frequently instructed on cases that involve issues of unfair dismissal, breach of contract, redundancy, whistleblowing and restrictive covenants.
Jamie has acted for a range of major national companies, as well as other notable employers including a Premier League Football Club. In 2017 he was appointed to the NPS Wales Panel of approved counsel, and is regularly instructed by a range of local authorities.
Jamie’s recent and notable work undertaken includes:
Ijomah v Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust  UKEAT/0289/19/RN – Jamie successfully represented the Claimant in an appeal where the ET had struck out a range of claims owing to material non-compliance of an unless order.
Hilbre Care Limited v Corpuz  UKEAT/0322/19/LA – Jamie successfully represented the Claimant in an appeal that dealt with a wide range of issues including waiver, economic duress and perversity of factual findings.
Jamie has a specific interest and particular experience in dealing with discrimination cases, both in an employment context and in relation to the provision of services, and regularly provides training on new developments in the area of discrimination.
Jamie has acted for a range of employers and service providers in discrimination cases including major national and international companies, local authorities, private schools, academy trusts and universities.
His current recent and notable experience of discrimination cases includes:
- Representing a Premier League Football Club in relation to age discrimination and constructive dismissal claims brought by former directors, as well as advising in related commercial litigation. The age discrimination claims were dismissed after trial.
- Representing a local authority in claims of harassment and discrimination brought by an employee who alleged that she had been victimised after raising allegations of sexual harassment against a manager. The claims were dismissed in full after trial.
- Representing a pilot who is claiming age discrimination on the basis of the application of a PHI scheme.
- Representing a McDonald’s franchisee in relation to a variety of claims of race discrimination brought by a former employee. The claims were dismissed in full after trial.
- Representing a vulnerable employee of a major international company that had been allegedly subjected to repeated serious sexual assaults by a manager. Jamie advised the claimant from the outset of the case and was heavily involved in the preparation of the subsequent litigation. The case settled on favourable terms just before trial.
- Advising and representing the managing director of a company within the Muller Group in relation to claims of constructive dismissal and discrimination based on his nationality.
- Representing a travel company in race discrimination and victimisation claims where it was alleged that complaints of discrimination had been made in bad faith in order to delay disciplinary proceedings.
- Successfully representing an NHS Trust against a claim from a former employee who claimed that she was entitled to an enhanced redundancy payment.
- Successfully representing the managing director of a provider of medical services who was found to have been dismissed in a sham redundancy.
- Successfully representing an employee of a FTSE 100 company who was displaced following an extensive restructure.
- Representing a charity in claims brought by former employees following extensive redundancies.
- Representing a recruitment agency in a claim brought after redundancies following a company-wide restructure.
- Advising a recruitment agency in relation to a former employer that had allegedly solicited clients in breach of a restrictive covenant.
- Advising and representing a hair salon that sought injunctive relief on the basis that two former stylists had joined a rival salon and taken clients with them.
- Representing two employees who were accused of soliciting clients from a company specialising in high value mobile phone contracts.
- Representing a multi-national logistics company against claims brought by two employees following their dismissals for bullying one of their colleagues.
- Representing a care home in a claim of unfair dismissal brought by an employee who was dismissed for gross misconduct for not following procedures put in place following the coronavirus pandemic.
- Representing a local authority in an unfair dismissal case where a senior female manager was dismissed for sexually assaulting a male employee.
- Representing an academy trust in an unfair dismissal case where a teacher had brought a constructive dismissal claim due to changes in her responsibilities and pay.
- Representing a senior manager of a national producer of greetings cards following an accusation that she had fraudulently claimed expenses.
- Representing a former DWP employee who claimed constructive dismissal arising out of the unilateral amendments to her working hours.
- Successfully representing a charity accused of dismissing an employee due to protected disclosures following the attempted suicide of a client.
- Advising and representing an NHS consultant who claimed to have been subjected to detriment and dismissed due to making a range of protected disclosures on unsafe working practices over a period of years.
- Representing a nursing home in a claim for whistleblowing detriment brought by a former employee following disclosures made about the home’s treatment of residents.
- Advising a student mentor who was allegedly dismissed from an employed role with a university after making protected disclosures about the university’s failure to pay the minimum wage.