Wellbeing at the Bar: Certificate of Recognition re-awarded by the Bar Council
We are delighted and proud to have been re-awarded our Certificate of Recognition by the Bar Council for our efforts to support and promote wellbeing for our members, pupils and staff.
The wellbeing of everyone in Chambers is a primary concern for us. We want our barristers, pupils and staff to be happy in their work and feel that we are supporting their careers in a way that is sustainable for them, offering additional support and flexibility when needed.
St John’s Buildings was one of the first Chambers to be awarded a Certificate of Recognition when they were first introduced in November 2017. We have continued to regularly review and improve the ways in which we support wellbeing, which is through a range of provisions including:
- The introduction of a Wellbeing Policy setting our commitment and policy approach to supporting wellbeing in Chambers
- Including wellbeing in our practice development discussions with members and pupils and one-to-one meetings with staff
- Providing training to clerks in supporting the wellbeing and sustainable careers of barristers, including enabling flexibility when needed and spotting the signs someone may need additional support
- Barrister mentors who volunteer to be approached to provide support to colleagues
- Access to a confidential assistance helpline and counselling sessions
- Signposting of internal and external sources of help
- Providing tips on establishing a sustainable career and looking after your wellbeing to our pupils
- Training for managers on the effective management of stress at work
- An HR team who can be approached for support, guidance and signposting of resources
- Social events and encouragement for all to take an active role in our internal community
- Ensuring other policies and processes are in place to support a positive culture and address any problems, e.g. Equality Policy, Dignity at Work (Prevention of Bullying & Harassment).
Wellbeing is an important and ongoing element of our Strategy that we regularly review, evaluate and seek to continually improve.