Phone: 0161 214 1500
Year of call: 2017Book BarristerDownload Details
Tom is a true employment and discrimination specialist, known for his technical expertise, and ability to tackle the most complex cases.
Tom qualified as a solicitor in 2008 and has experience acting for both claimants and respondents equally. Throughout his career, Tom has been instructed to act and advise both for and against some of the largest organisations in the country, often in complicated or high-value claims and across a variety of fields with emphasis on the commercial sector.
As a former solicitor, Tom understands the value and assistance of early involvement of counsel, and is happy to advise and assist at any stage of a case.
He has a particular interest in TUPE and discrimination claims, including whistleblowing claims, although he is very experienced in all areas of employment law.
Tom regularly appears in the employment tribunals and has experience in the Employment Appeal Tribunal where he undertakes written work and advocacy.
- Successfully represented national disability charity in claim brought by former Registered Manager relating to safeguarding and medication management.
- Advised consultant radiologist on whistleblowing claim arising from the death of a patient.
- Acted for long-serving manager against national retail chain.
- Successfully represented national tyre-fitting outfit at five-day trial of six-figure whistleblowing claim brought by former CEO.
- Represented successful claimant in four-day whistleblowing detriment/unfair dismissal claim. The claimant was awarded £31,000, which included aggravated damages of £10,000.
- Successfully represented a multi-academy trust in an unfair dismissal claim whose final hearing took place over six days.
- Represented a housing association in its successful defence, after a five-day final hearing, of unfair dismissal, disability and age discrimination claims.
- Represented both a local authority and national charity in a two-day preliminary hearing concerned with the application of TUPE to two claimants. The tribunal agreed that TUPE did not apply.
- Represented respondent fast-food outlet in four-day whistleblowing (health and safety) detriment and constructive dismissal claim and acted in claimant’s subsequent appeal to the EAT.
- Conducted appeal to the EAT on behalf of a claimant in relation to the application of ss.114 and 117 Employment Rights Act 1996 where former employer required repayment of balance of ex gratia sum on reinstatement.
- Represented claimant in four-day trial claiming whistleblowing relating to presence of cocaine on children’s nursery premises. The case was covered by the Manchester Evening News.
Tom uses his experience in discrimination claims to undertake civil disputes in the County and High Court where the Equality Act is engaged. He advises and represents individuals, businesses and social housing providers to bring or defend claims for discrimination.
- Acted for leisure centre in defending breastfeeding discrimination in which summary judgment was awarded in favour of the defendant. The claim was reported in the Daily Mail after it had been issued.