Phone: 0161 214 1500
Year of call: 2017Book BarristerDownload Details
“A rising star at the Northern employment Bar. He frequently appears in the Employment Tribunal, representing both claimants and respondents in TUPE, disability discrimination, and whistle-blowing cases.
Strengths: ” He is really fast and very thorough in his advice.” Chambers UK Bar 2021 – Up and Coming
‘Incredibly smart, practical and down to earth with clients. A lovely wit that helped lighten the often tense atmosphere whilst waiting at tribunal! Excellent client care skills and builds trust from the moment of meeting. Highly recommended.’ Legal 500 2021 – Rising Star
Tom is a true employment and discrimination specialist, known for his technical expertise and ability to tackle the most complex cases across a variety of fields. His practice focuses on the commercial sector, and with increasing emphasis on the education and care sectors.
- Employment Lawyers’ Association
- Mutuality of obligation, and why Gorman v. Terence Paul (Manchester) Ltd. doesn’t actually change a thing
- Returning from lockdown: Dealing with employee complaints
- Can dismissal for self-isolating be automatically unfair?
- Causation in whistleblowing cases
- Whistleblowing: how easy is it to make a qualifying disclosure?
- TUPE: Automatic Unfair Dismissal
- TUPE: Assignment
- Disability Discrimination: Something arising
- When is discrimination not discrimination?
- The Problem of Ambiguous Dismissals
- Reasonable Adjustments in Schools
- Victimisation and Protected Acts
Tom qualified as a solicitor in 2008 and has experience acting for both claimants and respondents equally. Throughout his career, Tom has been instructed to act and advise both for and against some of the largest organisations in the country, often in complicated or high-value claims and across a variety of fields with emphasis on the commercial sector.
As a former solicitor, Tom understands the value and assistance of early involvement of counsel, and is happy to advise and assist at any stage of a case.
He has particular experience in whistleblowing, TUPE and discrimination (in particular disability and pregnancy discrimination) claims, although he is accomplished in all areas of employment law.
Tom regularly appears in the employment tribunals and has experience in the Employment Appeal Tribunal where he undertakes written work and advocacy.
- Represented a former managing director in a three-day whistleblowing unfair dismissal claim against the UK business of a global manufacturer
- Acted in a ‘landmark’ case on the employment status of a hairdresser, which was reported nationally on the BBC, the ‘I’ and the Daily Mail, and locally in the Manchester Evening News.
- Successfully applied for strike-out of numerous disability discrimination claims on the basis of them having no reasonable prospects of success on behalf of the largest further education college in the country.
- Represented one of the largest food producers in the country in successfully defeating all claims (six) brought by a disabled former employee arising from premises relocation. Read the judgment here.
- Acted for global software analytics company in six-figure disability discrimination claim brought by former Vice President of Sales.
- Acted for senior building surveyor against UK body of long-established international humanitarian charity at three-day trial.
- Acted for one of the country’s largest multi-academy trusts in securing strike-out of post-employment victimisation claim.
- Acted for one of the country’s largest combined further and higher education providers at three-day unfair redundancy and age discrimination trial. Read the judgment here.
- Represented claimant at five-day trial against national charity in claim for failure to make reasonable adjustments for complex trauma disability, harassment, and discriminatory redundancy dismissal.
- Successfully represented national disability charity in claim brought by former Registered Manager relating to safeguarding and medication management.
- Advised consultant radiologist on whistleblowing claim arising from the death of a patient.
- Acted for long-serving manager against national retail chain.
- Successfully represented national tyre-fitting outfit at five-day trial of six-figure whistleblowing claim brought by former CEO. Read the judgment here.
- Represented successful claimant in four-day whistleblowing detriment/unfair dismissal claim. The claimant was awarded £31,000, which included aggravated damages of £10,000. Read the judgment here.
- Successfully represented a multi-academy trust in an unfair dismissal claim whose final hearing took place over six days. You can read the judgment here.
- Represented a housing association in its successful defence, after a five-day final hearing, of unfair dismissal, disability and age discrimination claims. Read the judgment here.
- Represented both a local authority and national charity in a two-day preliminary hearing concerned with the application of TUPE to two claimants. The tribunal agreed that TUPE did not apply.
- Represented respondent fast-food outlet in four-day whistleblowing (health and safety) detriment and constructive dismissal claim and acted in claimant’s subsequent appeal to the EAT.
- Conducted appeal to the EAT on behalf of a claimant in relation to the application of ss.114 and 117 Employment Rights Act 1996 where former employer required repayment of balance of ex gratia sum on reinstatement.
- Represented claimant in four-day trial claiming whistleblowing relating to presence of cocaine on children’s nursery premises. The case was covered by the Manchester Evening News.
Tom uses his experience in discrimination claims to undertake civil disputes in the County and High Court where the Equality Act is engaged. He advises and represents individuals, businesses and social housing providers to bring or defend claims for discrimination.
- Acted for leisure centre in defending breastfeeding discrimination in which summary judgment was awarded in favour of the defendant. The claim was reported in the Daily Mail after it had been issued.
Tom is accredited to receive instructions directly from members of the public through the Public Access Scheme.
Click here to view our Public Access pages and details of the process for instructing public access accredited barristers.Book BarristerBack to top