Phone: 0161 214 1500
Year of call: 2015Book BarristerDownload Details
Sebastian is a commercial and chancery barrister and a qualified mediator.
Before starting practice at the Bar, Sebastian worked as an analyst in London and also helped manage international compliance for two multinational companies, where he had a particular focus on America and Asia.
- Northern Circuit
- Northern Chancery Bar Association
- Northern Circuit Commercial Bar Association
- ADR Group accredited civil and commercial mediator
Scholarships & Awards
- BPP BPTC Excellence Award
- Washington DC Senatorial Internship
- BPTC, BPP Law School
- MSc, Oxford University
- LLB (Hons), Durham University
Company and Commercial
Sebastian is developing a broad practice in line with Chambers’ profile in these areas and undertakes work involving contractual disputes, sale of goods, applications for urgent injunctions and commercial litigation generally. His work sometimes involves cross-border elements and he has recently been instructed on cases arising out of Singapore and France.
- Involved in the highly-complex and high-value Volkswagen diesel emissions class action.
- Acted for a defendant in a three-day trial of a construction case, concerning a roof which had allegedly been designed and built defectively.
- Directions hearing on behalf of the liquidators of company seeking circa £10,000,000 from the company’s formerly registered director for misfeasance and breach of fiduciary duties.
- Drafted particulars of claim in relation to a franchise dispute where damages exceeded £1 million.
- Advised the owner of a rare sports car on his rights under the Factors Act 1889.
- Successfully obtained commission for a land development agent on a quantum meruit in a fast track trial, where he had negotiated a deal for circa £800,000.
- Various other fast track trials.
Sebastian has started to develop a practice in aviation and has experience dealing with carriage by air disputes involving EU regulations as well as compensation claims for delay, cancellation or denied boarding. He is happy to accept instructions in related areas.
- Acted on behalf of one of the largest airlines in Europe. Successfully argued at first instance that its bonus scheme for retired employees was discretionary, which could help prevent the floodgates being opened to hundreds or thousands of related claims.
Banking, Finance and Insolvency
Sebastian’s practice includes a wide range of personal and corporate insolvency matters.
He regularly appears in the winding up list, bankruptcy and company restoration proceedings acting for both creditors and debtors.
He also appears in the applications list in Manchester and Leeds and is familiar with administration orders and extensions, as well as the appointment and removal of liquidators.
Sebastian also has experience in corporate insolvency applications under section (236) (delivery up of information/ private examination in court) as well as personal insolvency matters under sections 339 (transactions at an undervalue) and 423 (transactions defrauding creditors) of the Insolvency Act 1986.
- Wound up a multinational company on behalf of the European Union.
- Obtained a bankruptcy order against a well-known television personality.
- Defended a land development company in winding up proceedings brought against it by a commercial agent where the amount in dispute was £4 million.
Property and Private Client
Sebastian is familiar with a range of property disputes. He regularly appears for both Claimants and Defendants in possession proceedings, applications for charging orders and the sale of property.
- Sir X (as trustee of Lady Y) v Z- obtained possession of trust property.