Phone: 0151 243 6000
Year of call: 2017Book BarristerDownload Details
Laura joined St John’s Buildings as a tenant in October 2020 following successful completion of her pupillage under the supervision of David Flood.
She is a civil practitioner, with focus on employment law, and as such welcomes instructions for all civil, employment and education law matters. Laura prides herself on building strong relationships with both her professional and lay clients and has keen attention to detail.
Laura acts in matters in the Employment Tribunal, First-tier Tribunal (Special Educational Needs and Disability) and in the civil courts. She has been instructed to draft opinions and pleadings in relation to those areas and is happy to assist with papers requiring a fast turnaround.
Although Employment Law is Laura’s primary area of focus, Laura has had the opportunity to experience other areas of law and in particular education law and discrimination claims in both the County and High Court. The experience Laura has in relation to Employment Law and the Equality Act 2010 has proven invaluable to developing this area of her practice.
Laura is part of the Attorney General’s Junior Juniors scheme and carries out pro bono work for Advocate.
Prior to the Bar, Laura worked for a multinational business support company regularly representing Respondents at Employment Tribunals across the United Kingdom. She successfully conducted multi-day tribunal hearings in numerous single and multiple issue claims of whistleblowing, unfair dismissal and discrimination.
- Employment Lawyers’ Association
- Personal Injury Bar Association
- Northern Circuit
- Lincoln’s Inn
Laura is building a busy practice in employment law. She regularly drafts advices across the full spectrum of employment law including unfair dismissal, discrimination and whistleblowing as well as drafting particulars of claim and grounds of resistance. She advises clients at all stages from initial negotiations through to the final hearing.
Laura appears for both Claimants and Respondents in the Employment Tribunal in a wide range of hearings such as preliminary and interlocutory applications as well as final hearings and if necessary appeals.
Laura welcomes instructions in all areas of employment law.
- Laura represented a Claimant in a claim for unfair dismissal in the Sheffield Employment Tribunal. The Claimant was successful and received a 25% uplift to his damages due to a failure of the Respondent to follow the ACAS code of practice on disciplinary and grievance procedures.
- Laura successfully appeared for a Claimant in a case of unfair dismissal due to ill health capability and discrimination arising out of her disability. Following a successful liability hearing, the case settled following negotiations.
- Laura appeared for a Claimant in a multi-day disability discrimination hearing in Manchester Employment Tribunal where the Claimant was successful.
- Laura represented a Claimant in a preliminary hearing against the NHS Commissioning Board as well as a claim against the Commissioner of Police of the Metropolis.
- Laura successfully defended two multi-day unfair dismissal and discrimination cases for Respondents.
- A successful application to reinstate a claim that was struck out for failure to comply with the Early Conciliation requirements.
Laura accepts instructions in all areas of personal injury work and civil matters.
She has provided advice on both liability and quantum in a variety of personal injury cases, and has experience of drafting pleadings for both Claimants and Defendants.
In court, Laura regularly conducts trials (in person and remotely) on both liability and quantum, infant approval hearings and MOJ stage 3 cases under the RTA protocol. She has represented at dismissal hearings as well as applications.
She has also represented clients in wider civil matters including contractual disputes and PPI claims.
Laura has a particular interest in Education Law and is developing this area of her practice. Outside of court Laura teaches children with educational needs to swim so understands the challenges and complexities faced by individuals and the families of those with SEND.
Laura mainly represents Local Authorities in the First-tier Tribunal but welcomes drafting and instructions within this field from both parents and Local Authorities alike. Her experience of employment law has equipped her with skills and knowledge in order to be able to assist with cases relating to the wider education sector including employment, discrimination and breach of contract.Book BarristerBack to top
Laura is accredited to receive instructions directly from members of the public through the Public Access Scheme.Book BarristerBack to top