Alex Platts – Pupil Barrister
Phone: 0161 214 1500
Year of call: 2019Book BarristerDownload Details
Alex joined St John’s Buildings as a pupil in October 2019 under the supervision of Alastair Wright and Daniel Metcalfe. He has a broad civil practice, with a focus on commercial/chancery, personal injury/clinical negligence and data protection law. He has also gained experience of employment law and court of protection work during pupillage.
Aside from his regular court work, Alex enjoys a busy paperwork practice, and prides himself on his ability to meet tight deadlines when returning papers.
- BA (1st) and M.Phil (71) in Music, University of Cambridge (2013-14)
- GDL (Distinction, first in year), University of Sussex (2018)
- BPTC (Outstanding), City Law School (2019)
- Lincoln’s Inn
- Northern Circuit
- Northern Circuit Commercial Bar Association
- Northern Circuit Chancery Bar Association
- Personal Injury Bar Association
Prizes and Scholarships:
- Canon Greville Cooke prize/graduate scholarship, Christ’s College, Cambridge (2013)
- Brougham Scholarship, Lincoln’s Inn (2017)
- Draper Prize, University of Sussex (2018)
- Denning Scholarship, Lincoln’s Inn (2018)
- Buchanan Prize, Lincoln’s Inn (2019)
Company and Commercial
Alex regularly provides advices in matters across the spectrum of commercial, chancery and company law, in relation to liability, quantum and procedure. He has experience of drafting commercial pleadings for both Claimants and Defendants.
Alex regularly appears on contractual matters in court, as well as in dispute resolution hearings. He has successfully represented applicants in hearings to set aside default judgments, to set aside statutory demands and to restore a company to the register.Book BarristerBack to top
Alex accepts instructions in all areas of personal injury and clinical negligence work. He has provided advices on both liability and quantum in a variety of clinical negligence, personal injury and industrial disease cases, and has experience of drafting pleadings across these areas both for Claimants and Defendants.
In court, Alex regularly conducts trials on both liability and quantum, infant approval hearings and MOJ stage 3 cases under the RTA protocol.Book BarristerBack to top
Data and Information Law
Alex has a particular interest in data protection law, and advises in this area both in relation to liability and quantum.Book BarristerBack to top