Diarmuid has an extensive knowledge of employment law and a broad practice. He acts for Claimants and Respondents. He has significant experience in unfair dismissal, discrimination, whistleblowing and TUPE disputes. His practice also encompasses contractual issues like restrictive covenants.
His recent experience includes:
- Defending a government department in a whistleblowing claim
- Defending an Academy in a trade union detriment claim
- Representing an individual who had suffered sex discrimination and victimisation
- Acting for a public sector employee in a claim for a failure to make reasonable adjustments
- Defending a Higher Education College in a race discrimination claim
- Acting for a Claimant in a TUPE claim against a well-known bookmaker
- Providing written and oral advice on liability, quantum and tactics
- Drafting various pleadings
- Obtaining a strike out order in a High Court claim for breach of contract, harassment and various other complaints
- Pleading and advising on merits and tactics in interim injunction proceedings before the High Court
- Drafting and advocacy in the Employment Appeal Tribunal
In addition to frequently appearing in lengthy hearings in the employment tribunal, he conducts substantive preliminary hearings, including in relation to time limits and other jurisdictional issues, as well as strike out and deposit applications.
He can advise and assist with professional disciplinary matters when they arise in employment, such as when health professionals are facing internal disciplinary matters which may be referred to their professional regulatory body.
He undertakes written and advocacy work in respect of Employment Tribunal, County Court, High Court and Employment Appeal Tribunal cases.
Diarmuid has also been instructed in numerous Judicial Mediation hearings, which he finds particularly satisfying.