Laura Halsall – Pupil Barrister
Phone: 0151 243 6000
Year of call: 2017Book BarristerDownload Details
Laura joined St John’s Buildings as a pupil in October 2019 under the supervision of David Flood.
She is a civil pupil, with focus on employment law. During her pupillage, Laura has also gained experience of personal injury and clinical negligence.
Since starting ‘second six’, Laura has acted in matters in both the Employment Tribunal and the County Court. She has been instructed to draft opinions and pleadings in relation to both areas.
Although Employment Law is Laura’s primary area of focus, Laura has had the opportunity to experience other areas of law and in particular education law and discrimination claims in both the County and High Court. The experience Laura has in relation to Employment Law and the Equality Act 2010 has proven invaluable to developing this area of her practice.
Prior to the Bar, Laura worked for a multinational business support company regularly representing Respondents at Employment Tribunals across the United Kingdom. She successfully conducted multi-day tribunal hearings in numerous single and multiple issue claims of whistleblowing, unfair dismissal and discrimination.
She completed the Bar Professional Training Course in Manchester in 2017, achieving the grade of “Very Competent”. During her studies, Laura was awarded the Lord Haldane scholarship for graduates with outstanding ability and the prestigious Lord Denning Major scholarship from Lincoln’s Inn.
Laura read Theology at the University of Oxford before completing the Graduate Diploma in Law at City University London in 2016.
- Employment Lawyers’ Association
- Northern Circuit
- Lincoln’s Inn
- Frustration in Employment Law and the effects of Covid-19
Laura is beginning to build a busy practice in employment law. She regularly drafts advices across the full spectrum of employment law including unfair dismissal, discrimination and whistleblowing as well as drafting particulars of claim and grounds of resistance.
Laura appears for both Claimants and Respondents in the Employment Tribunal in a wide range of hearings such as preliminary and interlocutory applications as well as final hearings.
Laura welcomes instructions for both drafting and hearings.
- Laura represented a Claimant in a claim for unfair dismissal in the Sheffield Employment Tribunal. The Claimant was successful and received a 25% uplift to his damages due to a failure of the Respondent to follow the ACAS code of practice on disciplinary and grievance procedures.
- Laura successfully appeared for a Claimant in a case of unfair dismissal due to ill health capability and discrimination arising out of her disability. Following a successful liability hearing, the case settled following negotiation.
- Laura represented a Claimant in a preliminary hearing against the NHS Commissioning Board as well as a claim against the Commissioner of Police of the Metropolis.
Laura accepts instructions in all areas of personal injury work.
She has provided advice on both liability and quantum in a variety of personal injury cases, and has experience of drafting pleadings for both Claimants and Defendants.
In court, Laura regularly conducts trials (in person and remotely) on both liability and quantum, infant approval hearings and MOJ stage 3 cases under the RTA protocol. She has represented at dismissal hearings as well as applications.Book BarristerBack to top
Laura has a particular interest in Education Law. Outside of court Laura teaches children with educational needs to swim so understands the challenges and complexities faced by individuals and the families of those with SEN.
Laura has represented the Local Authority in a SEN Tribunal and welcomes drafting and instructions within this field from both parents and Local Authorities.Book BarristerBack to top