Alice’s practice principally covers personal injury, inquests and commercial law. She acts for both Claimants and Defendants and regularly represents major UK firms and public bodies.
Alice is a contributor to Practical Law (to which 91% of the UK’s top 100 law firms subscribe) and is happy to provide CPD training on any aspect of her practice.
Education: Oxford University (BA (Hons) 2004)
Alice carries out work across the spectrum of personal injury litigation, but her main areas of specialism include:
- Road traffic accidents, including issues of credit hire and Stage 3 protocol hearings
- Accidents at work
- Occupiers’ liability
- Public liability
- Insurance litigation
She regularly provides advice on liability and quantum and her practice is evenly split between Claimant and Defendant work.
Baldwin v Glenvale TransportEmployer’s liability for RTA involving a bus.
Hassan v MandjataCredit hire and mitigation.
Tomkinson v CarterFailure of taxi business following RTA, and recoverability of loss of earnings.
LukicOnset of serious psychiatric illness following RTA.Book BarristerBack to top
Thomas v Co-operativeSlip at supermarket.
Alice represents both families and employers in the Coroner’s Court. She is instructed in cases of deaths abroad including where complications arise out of concurrent criminal proceedings in other jurisdictions. She is familiar with inquests where the scope of the Coroner’s investigation touches on matters which will have a bearing on a subsequent claim for damages (such as contributory negligence).
CowenDeath at work at a mine in Sierra Leone, representing widow.
Cloke and AlexaDeaths at work on a building site, representing the land developer.
JohnsonRoad traffic accident of teenager, representing family.Book BarristerBack to top
CoxRoad traffic accident, representing widow.
Company and Commercial
Alice appears in both the County Court and High Court in commercial matters including breach of contract and misrepresentation claims.
Harris Chartered Accountants v KazassoglouRecoverability of fees.
McSorley v National Insurance GroupValidity of insurance policy.
LM Associates v KirrageAssignment of debt.
MJM Industrial Ltd v Zippy DistributionBuilding contracts and fraud.
Hollamby Estates Ltd v Brearly and BrealyPossession, validity of shareholder’s compromise agreement.Book BarristerBack to top
Morleys Derby Ltd v Morley Slater LtdInjunction to restrain the advertisement of a winding up petition.
Alice is regularly instructed by different constabularies and has represented the Police in the Magistrates’ Court, the Crown Court, the Youth Court and the County Court. Her work includes the following:
- Forced Marriage Protection Orders, including advice on evidence, procedure and costs
- Proceeds of Crime and forfeiture cases, especially those involving forensic accountants and HMRC experts. She has conducted numerous multiday Crown Court appeals
- Injunctions against gangs, Sexual Offences Prevention Orders, Foreign Travel Orders and Police Property Act matters
- Independent disclosure advice following police seizures of large amounts of hardcopy and electronic material, before access to that material is granted to defence legal teams
- General advice on working practises and procedure between law enforcement agencies including the UK Border Agency
- Pleadings and advices on issues such as the exercise of police powers, false imprisonment, wrongful arrest and personal injury.