The Travel Group was formed in response to the growing volume of travel law work being received by members of Chambers and the demand from our clients for specialist knowledge in the area. It is one of the only specialist travel law groups outside of London, allowing solicitors to instruct locally based barristers with whom they have established working relationships. In advising travel law clients, the group is able to draw on wide experience in all areas of personal injury and professional negligence litigation, including road traffic accidents, product liability, and accidents in the workplace. The formation of the Travel Group allows our group members to provide a consistently up-to-date service in this ever developing field of litigation.
Chambers deals with all aspects of travel and holiday claims and related litigation, including:
- All claims brought under the Package Travel Regulations
- Accidents involving international transport and carriage including airline travel, ferry crossings and cruise ship accidents (the Warsaw Convention, Montreal Convention and Athens Convention)
- All matters of jurisdiction under the Brussels I Regulation and the common law rules
- Road traffic accidents abroad
- Applicability of the Fourth, Fifth and Sixth European Motor Directives
- All personal injury and fatal accident claims compromising a foreign element (whether under the Rome II Regulation or the Private International Law (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1995
- Accidents arising out of leisure activities or employment abroad
- Multi-party claims against tour operators and hoteliers
We act for both claimants and defendants, acting for and against insurers (domestic and foreign), tour operators and travel agents, hoteliers, cruise operators and airlines.
We offer a fast, high quality, up-to-date and reliable service. All members of the group are approachable and are committed to written standards of service which are available on request. All members of the Group are able to provide both advice and advocacy services. Chambers now covers sites in Manchester, Sheffield, Chester and Liverpool. As such Chambers is particularly well placed to provide an extensive, efficient and cost effective service to clients throughout the country.
John HedgecoeYear of call: 1972
Philip M.D. GrundyHead of Catastrophic InjuryYear of call: 1980
Matthew MawdsleyHead of the Travel Law GroupYear of call: 1991
Andrew LawsonYear of call: 1995
Andrew BaileyYear of call: 1997
Gareth ThompsonYear of call: 2005
Simon MurrayYear of call: 2008
Jessica Wilson-TheakerYear of call: 2012